Thursday, February 9, 2023

Psalm 96:7-10

Psalm 96:7-10 

  If I showed up unexpectedly at your house, maybe you'd feel generous and offer me a cold beverage.  Depending on what you had on hand and what time it was and how frustrated you were with me, maybe I'd get something to eat as well.  But that's probably as far as you'd go, right?  I mean, it's just me.
  What if Arnold Schwarzenegger up at your house?  Or Angela Merkel?  I bet you'd get out the nice plates for them.  Maybe you'd even offer them a gift out of your house.  Maybe a plant or a candle, something you have on hand to show your appreciation for them stopping by.  Perhaps you'd offer them some money to support a cause they were working on, not that either need any money.  
  What if the Creator of the entire universe stopped by for a chat?  What if the one holding the entire universe together with God's will were to swing by.  What would you give?  
  The Psalmist tells us to ascribe to the Lord the glory that is due his name, and it makes me laugh, because what could we possibly give to God compared to all the glory that God deserves?  We fall woefully short of what God deserves.
  But God asks us to give what we can, to worship the Lord and sing God's praises.  God doesn't ask for more than we can give, but we should give all that we can, offering ourselves, our joys and songs, to worship the Lord out of gratitude for all that God has done.

No comments: