Friday, February 10, 2023

Psalm 97:1-5

Psalm 97:1-5
English Standard Version 

  There's a rental car place down the street from me that I use every once in a while when I'm driving across the state for the day, and the lady who runs it has a little dog that never fails to greet me like I'm the most important person in the world.  You'd think I had my pockets stuffed with dog biscuits when I walked in there the way that little dog jumps up to see me.  It always makes me feel good.
  Sometimes, when I see that little dog jumping up, I think about God.  We treat God pretty casually sometimes.  Maybe we need to do a better job of treating God like God is the most important person in the world.  God wants to be intimate and to be a friend, but let us never forget that this is the God who has fire go before him.  If the mountains melt like wax before the Lord, a little reverence from us would be prudent, right?  Maybe a lot of reverence and fear.  We can get very casual and comfortable, and we should remember that it is God who sits on a throne of righteousness and justice -- this God is strong enough to save, mighty enough to punish, and chooses to exercise divine favor and grace when looking upon us, despite our sinful ways.
  We should fall before God's throne in worship in reverent awe. 

No comments: