Wednesday, April 10, 2024

James 5:7-11

James 5:7-11 

  Agriculture is such a great metaphor for the spiritual life.  I wonder how much of the impact of various teachings we miss because we live so far from the land.  Farming involves great patience and trust -- a seed is planted, the soil is cared for, and then there is waiting.  It's active waiting, but it's also a lot of trusting in things that are beyond one's control.  When trust is enough, then one can remain steadfast in the face of opposition.
  What qualities of God would you want to know more about that would help you be steadfast in the face of suffering?  God wants to give us what we need to help us endure.  I think I often have a different idea as to what I need than God does, and much of that is driven by the fact that I don't have complete trust in God -- I am trying to retain control, so that things turn out the way I want them to.  Growing in faith for me is learning to let go of control and trusting in God's bigger vision for my eternal life, not simply for the earthly one.  

No comments: