Thursday, September 10, 2009

God's Love is Like...

God's Love is like...

A waterfall

Do you ever stop and wonder how waterfalls don't run out of water? I do all the time. For some reason this question has never come up when I stand before a river flowing through a city, but if I'm standing at the base of a waterfall, I'm staring up asking that very question. I know the logical answer, but the reality is that there, at the base of a waterfall, the sheer quantity of water seems so much more real than when I'm staring at a river. Standing before a river I can't quite grasp how much water is in there. I don't see the depth and realize how fast it is moving. Sometimes it seems like it's barely moving at all. But a waterfall forces us to contemplate, to wonder, to stand in awe of the sheer volume of water rushing over the falls. I believe that only at waterfalls do we truly understand how much water is in the river.

God's love is like a waterfall. God's love surrounds this world. God created the universe, and all that is in it. God loves all of it. God is gracious and merciful and wonderful, and God's love extends so deep and wide that we often miss most of it. But every now and then, we have those moments where we get a glimpse of how big God's love is. We realize, in a sweet embrace, in a tender moment, that God's love is bigger and wider than we can even begin to imagine. We get caught up in it and simply have to praise God for having such amazing love.

So maybe God's love isn't like a waterfall. Maybe it would be more appropriate to say that we have waterfall moments in life where we recognize how powerful God's love is.

Thanks be to God for love.

No comments: