Monday, June 6, 2011

Daily Stuff

A: This life is too much trouble, far too strange, to arrive at the end of it and then to be asked what you make of it and have to answer “Scientific humanism.” That won’t do. A poor show. Life is a mystery, love is a delight. Therefore I take it as axiomatic that one should settle for nothing less than the infinite mystery and the infinite delight, i.e., God. In fact I demand it. I refuse to settle for anything less. I don’t see why anyone should settle for less than Jacob, who actually grabbed aholt of God and would not let go until God identified himself and blessed him.  (From:  Walker Percy interviewing himself)


Today is D-Day.  Many years ago, men braver than I stormed a series of beaches in a brutal, daring frontal attack on a well-defended German line.  Many died.  Because of their sacrifice, many more were able to cross the beaches, ascend the hills, and, eventually, defeat Germany.

I've had the privilege to be able to walk on those same beaches, to wander through the cemetery, to wonder at how they did it.  I don't know.  I can't imagine the fear that beat within their hearts as those boats approached the beaches.  I can't imagine the images that remained long after the smoke had cleared.  I don't want to.

I am grateful that so many went.  On this day, I will stop and say a prayer, grateful for the freedom I have, a freedom that has been paid for.  I will pray for peace, that never again will a young man have to stare up at a hill and know that violence awaits.  I hope you stop and remember as well.

No comments: