Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Stuff and the Kingdom of God

  So there I was...

  Last night I was attempting to clean up the stuff I have laying around the floor.  I accumulate my camera gear, some triathlon stuff, and various other assorted useful items that don't have a good place to live.  I remembered that I had one of those little plastic organizers on wheels in the garage, and I was in the kitchen cleaning the spiders off it when something occurred to me.

  Many people in the world don't own enough things to fill this thing.

  I'm worried about making sure my stuff is organized.

  All the while worrying that our 3 bedroom house might not be big enough when the baby comes.

  What's wrong with this picture?  I stared at that little plastic organizer for a long time last night, as though I was expecting it to begin to speak and explain how all the stuff itself isn't really bad and that it's only my attitude towards the stuff that makes it bad.  I kept waiting for the light bulb to click and convince me that as long as my stuff didn't own my soul and I was most concerned with my relationship with my Father in heaven that all the stuff was ok.

  That didn't happen either.

  All I did was realize how powerful those words of Jesus are:  Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.’  (Matthew 19:24)


  All this stuff seems to demand so much attention.  This morning I was having trouble getting back to sleep because my mind was so filled with thoughts about things I have to do around the house, like replacing water & air filters, fixing our walkway lights, etc.  It obscures my mind and keeps me from focusing on anything other than the immediate, physical demands of these things.


  And turns me from paying attention to God.  How frustrating it is to see the role stuff plays in my life.


  How hopeful I am that I can determine how best to live simply and focus solely on God and God's kingdom in all that I do.  I pray for the wisdom and strength to turn from this stuff, to eliminate the things that distract, and focus on Christ alone.

No comments: