Thursday, July 12, 2012

7/12 E-News


Announcements

VBS—It's almost that time! VBS is just around the corner, starting in 11 days!

Family CampI know that Labor Day seems like a long way away, but we're already making plans for Family Camp at John Knox Center. We've got some exciting things planned for the year, so be sure to sign up early! Registration forms are in the Narthex.


New Hope News

Sermon SeriesWe've got two sermons left in the series What the New Testament says about... This week we're focusing on service.

Sunday School—We'll explore Psalms this Sunday @ 9:45.

Sunday Evening Prayer Service—We're back this week! 6:00

Pray for:

Joseph Townley

Judy Smith, as she recovers from her procedure

David Smith

Links







Book Recommendation

Want to learn more about God? A.W. Tozer's classic The Knowledge of the Holy is a detailed exploration of different attributes of God. Tozer explores God's love, wisdom, faithfulness, goodness, etc. Each chapter is about 3-5 pages, so this makes for great reading right before bed.

Random Thoughts

The other night, I was lying in bed, feeling miserable. My stomach was acting up, and I didn't sleep very much. I had some medicine in the bathroom, but it seemed like too much trouble to drag my body out of bed to get it. So I laid there for another few hours before I finally broke down and got the medicine, and wouldn't you know it, I slept much better after that! The next morning, I couldn't help but wonder how much better the night would have gone if I had simply got out of bed earlier.

We do the same thing in our own lives all the time. We often know what we need to solve a certain problem in our life, but in order to get to the solution it requires something that will be painful or difficult, so we avoid it. The temporary pain is viewed as outweighing the long term benefits.

When we think about our spiritual lives, it's important to consider whether or not we're giving up long-term gains for short-term benefits. When we think about spending time in prayer, silence or study, it's always tempting to use that time for something else. Short-term, this may be rewarding, but in the long-term we're giving up the spiritual growth we all desire. Maybe it means you have to miss that television show or not read that article, but the gains we make over the course of our lives make up for it. Christ points us to the abundant life, but it will take some sacrifices on our part for us to walk the road of discipleship.


Text for Sunday, July 15

Romans 15:22-32

Paul’s Plan to Visit Rome

 This is the reason that I have so often been hindered from coming to you. But now, with no further place for me in these regions, I desire, as I have for many years, to come to you when I go to Spain. For I do hope to see you on my journey and to be sent on by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a little while. 

At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem in a ministry to the saints; for Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to share their resources with the poor among the saints at Jerusalem. They were pleased to do this, and indeed they owe it to them; for if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material things.

So, when I have completed this, and have delivered to them what has been collected, I will set out by way of you to Spain; and I know that when I come to you, I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ.
 I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in earnest prayer to God on my behalf,that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my ministry to Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints, so that by God’s will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company.





















New Hope on Facebook & Twitter
New Hope on iTunes

No comments: