Friday, July 20, 2012

Questions

  So I don't have all the answers. I think I've mentioned that a time or two. But lately, I've been asking a lot of questions. Big questions. But they're not original--most of them originate in the prophets of the Old Testament, prophets who looked at the world around them and declared that something was not right in the lives of the people of Israel. They began to take the covenant God gave them for granted, living however they wanted, ignorant of justice, trusting that the temple rituals would assure God's grace.

  I can't help but look around this country and wonder if we, too, are making a colossal mistake in the way we live, in the choices we make.  Do we take seriously the words of the prophets, who I believe would have harsh words for us today?  Do we take seriously the Biblical mandate to care for the poor and the oppressed?  Do we take seriously God's heart for the least of these?  What would happen if we started to do so?  What changes would you need to make?  What changes would I need to make.  What would life look like in this country, in Chattanooga, if the Christian community allowed ourselves to step back and examine everything we do, every choice we make, in light of Christ's call to total discipleship?  What would happen if we stopped pursuing more 'stuff' and started using the money we spend on disposables and extras and put that money to work for God's Kingdom, rather than empty entertainment or mindless consumption?

  I think God is doing some pretty amazing things in the world today.  I think God longs for each and every one of us to abandon the desire for worldly security and to seek it in him alone, to let him transform us and let ourselves be led out into the world, to be agents of transformation, to let Christ's light and love shine through us.  The video below is an amazing example of one person who let Christ do some pretty radical things.  Her choices aren't necessarily the choices we all need to make.  But I know that God is calling each of us to things that aren't always easy, that aren't always clear and safe.  How do we hear that call?  How do we silence so many other voices and let God speak to and through us?  How do we let go of decades of conditioning to aspire for worldly success and honor and allow the love of Christ to reign in every part of our lives?

  Like I said, I don't have a lot of answers.  But I think the questions are a good place to start.


   Here's a link to Sara's story.

No comments: