Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Caleb Updates


  It's amazing to watch Caleb grow--one minute he's trying to figure out how to roll over, arm stuck beneath him and consternation written on every inch of his face, and the next he's trying to crawl, leg stuck beneath him, the same look upon his face.  (Well, at least until his face plants into the carpet and he starts rolling.  I'm not sure he's ever going to crawl--rolling is so much more effective for him.  The cats appreciate this, because a rolling baby is still easy to avoid, but it's only delaying the inevitable for them, and I don't have the heart to tell them this.  Also, I don't know how to talk to my cats.)

  If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice a U-shaped spot on the top of Caleb's shirt.  It's drool.  This kid drools like a St. Bernard.  It's amazing.  He's got three teeth in already, and more on the way--and if the drool increases with the number of teeth, I'm going to have to start dressing him in a Sham-Wow.

  Not only is he slowly discovering that his legs are meant for more than just decoration, he's also finding his voice.  As my mother would say, this is the part called payback.  As a kid, I was rather talkative.  Mom bribed me with M&M's in the hopes of a quiet car ride home.  As for the strangers I sat next to on a plane ride from Cincinnati to Los Angeles and talked the entire way there... they're probably still regretting not taking a later flight.

  Caleb is joining in the Jones family tradition of talking a lot.  Monday night, he talked from 4:30 until his bedtime at 8:30.  Some of it sounded happy, some of it not as happy, but he was overjoyed to have the chance to share what he thought.  I was pretty impressed by the kid, although I will admit to hoping for a moment of peace at some point during those four hours!

  He's a joy to be around.  Even in the rough moments, I am struck by what a blessing he is.  I thank God for the gift of Caleb, and I pray for the wisdom to be a great father for him.

No comments: