Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Psalm 1

Psalm 1
English Standard Version (ESV)

 It's easy for me to tell my kids that they can choose their attitude every day, that they're not locked into a certain path. 
  It's much harder for me to remember that the same is true for myself.  Every day is a choice about how I want to serve God -- will I choose the harder work of faithfulness, or will I put off discipleship until tomorrow?  The Psalmist uses the metaphor of a tree, helping us think about how a tree nourished by a stream will grow quickly and abundantly, much more so than one planted far from the stream.  This is meant to encourage us to think about how we are drawing life from the Word of God.
  But it's also easy to think of ourselves as inflexible, focusing on how we are like a tree, with roots planted deep and hard to move.  We get accustomed to our daily rhythms and patterns, no matter if some of them are not very helpful, and we can get stuck.  It's hard work to uproot and move closer to the stream -- but that's where abundance is. 

No comments: