Thursday, May 9, 2019

3 John 1

3 John 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Community is a hard thing.  It's hard to live in a house with people who might have different interests than I do.  Sometimes, my kids wants to do things differently than I do.  Often, Rachel has the nerve to not want to do exactly what I want to do.  It's hard -- and it's training me, slowly, to consider others.  I'm hard to love sometimes, and I'm much richer because of the patience of my family and friends to bear with me when I'm challenging. 
  Not to focus too much on death, but an amazing man died the other day.  Jean Vanier, the founder of L'Arche, passed away.  The linked article says so much about the man and his approach.  Not enough people have heard of him, but in my opinion, he is far more important than any movie star or musician or athlete.  He patiently loved others, and made an intentional choice every day to display selfless love.  I'd highly recommend you read everything you can about him.  We don't all have to go off and found communities like L'Arche, but we can learn from his example and think about how to be patient with one another, and to remember that we have received grace upon grace, and God gently nudges us to demonstrate that same grace to others.

No comments: