Thursday, December 5, 2019

Revelation 2:18-28

Revelation 2:18-28
English Standard Version (ESV)

  To be completely honest, there are times when I read the Bible, close it, and then hope that I didn't read what I just read.  Not that I'm worried about the specific sins referenced here, but rather just because the overall tenor can be rather threatening at times.  God searches the mind and heart, and I'll certainly confess that my mind and heart aren't always perfect places -- there are some dark places that each of us harbor, and the thought of God knowing the fullness of my sins and brokenness is troubling.
  Fortunately, God knew all of this before God ascended the cross to die in order to redeem me.  My sins are ever before me, but they aren't a surprise to God.  God knows that I cannot save myself, and so God sends Jesus Christ to save us.  We are desperate and in need, and so God comes to save.
  Sometimes, it feels like 'Hold Fast' is about the only thing that I can do.  I desperately want to write my name in the list of those who conquer and keep God's works, although there are days when enduring seems like too great a task, and conquering will have to be left to those more worthy than I.  Fortunately, the Holy Spirit comes and prays with sighs too deep for words, and I am reminded that salvation depends on God, not on me.  Thanks be to God!

No comments: