Monday, December 2, 2019

When it rains

  My son loves sidewalk chalk.  Personally, I struggle with the texture of chalk, and I'm a terrible artist, so sidewalk chalk and I are not a match made in heaven.  He, however, would do it all day long if it were up to him.  He'd skip school to draw maps and zoos on the driveway.  It's astounding.
  Once, he had completed a particularly complicated map of a zoo when it started to rain.  Distressed, he grabbed an umbrella and was out standing over one spot, and then another, trying to shield his creations from the rain.  It was touching and sweet, but ultimately futile, as the rains pounded down and slowly washed his creation away.  (His sadness quickly passed as he anticipated a blank slate upon which to create anew).
  I thought about how often I try to hold onto my own sins in light of God's onrushing grace.  There are things in my life that I struggle to let go, things that I hold on to, that I'm certain God can't forgive me for.  I beat myself up time and time again, as though God's grace can't cover those sins. 
  But God's grace covers all.  The forgiveness is complete, despite it being unearned.  I have no need to hold on to things -- that is only fear speaking.  God's grace is strong enough for all of my sins, no matter how deep. 

No comments: