Thursday, February 20, 2020

Colossians 1:21-23

Colossians 1:21-23
English Standard Version (ESV)

 Have you ever been presented?  In looking for a job, I spent a lot of time networking -- constantly reaching out to people, meeting with people, all in the hopes that I'd eventually meet someone who knew of a great job that I'd be a good fit for.  If they liked me, perhaps they'd even be willing to present me to the company or manager -- in essence, they're vouching for me that I'd be a good candidate for the position.
  In Christianity, it's Christ who presents us before God.  We don't do so on our own merit -- if so, that would have disastrous consequences.  We wouldn't be able to stand, sit, kneel, or crawl before the throne of God based on our own merit.  No, we were alienated and hostile when we were doing things on our own.  Instead, Christ reconciles us through his sacrifice, and we're presented to God based on his merits, not ours, but because Christ is perfect, we are received as though we are perfect, holy, and blameless.
  Is that a goal worth working towards?  Have I got great news for you -- your only work is to receive what Christ has done for you, to allow gratitude to transform you, and then, based on the wonder of what God has done you'll likely go forth and tell the great news of the Gospel story.

No comments: