Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Isaiah 53:4-6

Isaiah 53:4-6 

  When I went to Honduras, I was a little surprised when someone picked up my suitcase after they scanned it (no, I'm not sure why they scanned my suitcase before I could leave the airport) and carried to the curb.  Immediately upon setting it down, he immediately turned and demanded payment, despite never asking me whether I wanted this service or not, and it wasn't so much a question as it was a demand.  He had carried my burden, whether I asked him to or not, and he expected compensation.  
  Typically, when people carry burdens for us, we thank them, whether it is at an airport or some other setting.  When friends help you move, the typically accepted payment is beer and pizza, I believe.
  Jesus carried our griefs and sorrows, going so far as to be pierced for our transgressions -- a literal spear went through his very literal side, and yet in return, we fled.  When I feel bad about my own efforts of discipleship, I remember the disciples -- they spent 3 years walking and talking with Jesus, and when Jesus was arrested, they, too, fled for their own lives, leaving Jesus behind, and these were some of the first people Jesus visited upon his resurrection, expressing his love for them.  There is more grace than you can fathom, and if there is grace enough for the disciples, there is grace enough for us.
  Jesus carries our sorrows and rather than demanding payment from us, Jesus makes the payment for us, taking our place as a debtor, and leaving us a reward beyond comprehension.
  What a gift!!!

No comments: