Monday, July 31, 2023

Mark 1:21-28

Mark 1:21-28 
English Standard Version 

  How many different distractions do you find when you truly need to buckle down and focus on something?  I might struggle to work from home full-time -- it's so easy to find ways to distract myself.  I wander into the kitchen every 30 minutes to find something new to eat, even though I've memorized everything that's in there and I haven't been to the store since the last time I looked.  One of the best ways to clean your house is to find some other deadline that's pressing in! 
  Here, Jesus is teaching, and people are amazed -- he teaches with authority that exceeds that of the current experts.  People are learning, and into the midst of this teaching, an unclean spirit disrupts the scene, preventing people from learning as Jesus teaches.  
  When we go to study, may we do what we can to minimize distractions.  Turn off the phone, set some time aside, give yourself the best chance to focus.  May we learn from Jesus as he teaches us through the Word.

No comments: