Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Mark 2:5-12

Mark 2:5-12 
English Standard Version 

  In Chattanooga, there is a tow truck hall of fame.  I never went when we lived there, but I probably should have.  Nobody appreciates tow trucks when their car is working well, but when it breaks down, you're very, very glad they exist.  
  Every time I read this, I think of the people who have carried me when I am weak.  There are times when I've been literally broken, and when my body hasn't worked properly, others have come alongside to help me make it through daily life.  Other times, I've been emotionally broken, and others have patiently come near to support me through those difficult chapters.  
  I will always love the way verse 5 is worded.  The friends of the paralytic lower him down through the roof in front of Jesus, and Jesus looks up at the friends and sees their faith, and then he forgives the sins of the paralytic.  
  There's a lot of different ways that we could go with the interpretation of this, but mostly, I like to stop and appreciate that the faith of the friends matters.  
  Surround yourself with people who will carry you when you are weak.  Be the type of friend who carries others when they are weak.  This is what a community of faith does -- we're the type of people who aren't perfect but have faith in Jesus' ability to heal, and so despite our own limitations, we can lift people before Jesus and let him do the miracles he can do.  Trust in Jesus, but let's continue to be a community where people aren't abandoned or left on their own or forgotten when they're ailing.

No comments: