Monday, August 28, 2023

Mark 4:26-29

Mark 4:26-29 

  I sometimes watch the organist at church and I marvel at how she plays -- there's two sets of keyboards and what seems like 37 different pedals, as well as all the stops, and yet she knows how to manipulate all of it to make beautiful music.  It's a delight to watch organists plays, and the music is glorious.  I know not how it happens, but I'm glad it does.
  There are so many things that are simply beyond what my mind can grasp.  But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate them -- I give thanks for flowers that unfold and for children that grow and for mountains that rise out of the sea.  Some of these things I understand pieces of it, but I know we're still learning so much.  As a people, we're learning about how we work with the bacteria that surround us and how nutrition in food works -- we know some basics, but every year we learn a little bit more.  I was listening to someone talk about how they knew carrots were healthy but they were still learning exactly why, and I laughed.  We are so limited, and yet we can still be in awe that it does work, that our bodies work as well as they do, that the planet keeps spinning and the flowers keep blooming.  Let us give thanks for the God that orchestrates all of it, and may we rejoice that the same God pours love and grace upon us, for God's mercies are new every morning.

******

Also, the summary from yesterday's sermon can be found linked here.

No comments: