Saturday, April 9, 2011

Running the Race

  So there I was...

  I was about half way through the bike ride of the Hammer Duathlon, which I completed this morning (in about 1:42, in case you're dying to know), when there was a dog standing in the middle of a front yard.  I could feel my body instantly tense, waiting for the coming chase, the barking, the yelling, the children cowering in their mother's arms...

  Anyway, as I rode by, I noticed the dog's tongue hanging from the side of its mouth, a look of wonder in its eyes, and I realized that it must have been worn out from chasing the (many) cyclists that had previously passed its way--this must have been like Christmas, one bike after another to chase, a veritable all-you-can-eat buffet.

  I was just grateful not to be first!  Of course, I suppose that, had I been first, I might have been moving faster than most dogs can run, but first place isn't something I'm entirely familiar with.  It was a beautiful morning in bustling Lenoir City, TN, with the smell of gasoline rising from the countless bass boats cruising nearby.  I'd never competed in a duathlon before (run 3 miles, bike 16 miles, run 3 miles), and my sage conclusion upon having now successfully completed one is that they hurt more than triathlons.  The extra leg of running did a number on my feet, and my blisters seem to be developing blisters.  So off to a hot shower and maybe a nap!

No comments: