Sunday, August 14, 2011

Birth Class

  So there we were...

  Rachel and I spent seven hours learning how to have a baby yesterday.  After watching all those hours of powerpoint, I can safely say I know a lot more about having babies than I did on Friday.  I can also say that my part in this whole thing is a whole lot easier than hers.  I have been able to spend the last 33 weeks going to the gym, having a cold beer, etc.  Rachel's been watching her body change and wondering about the stress and difficulty of labor.  Not exactly fair, is it?

  After watching the videos, I have to admit that I'm not sorry to miss out on labor.  It doesn't look like a walk in the park.  The women they interviewed were all honest--it's not easy, but the ordeal is entirely worth it.  They had to struggle through labor.  They were grateful for the support, but they had to go through the physical pain, while their husbands could only do their best to cheer them on.

  I wouldn't say I feel guilty for this, but I will say that I imagine I will feel a bit helpless.  I will be there every step of the way, but yet it will be outside my ability to actually relieve her pain--I can't take that away from her.  I can assure her of my presence, and I can offer the promise that it will end soon and that she is doing great, but she alone has to endure the pain.

  I look forward to labor in utter humility--I don't know what it will bring and when it will come and how long it will take.  I pray for strength for Rachel, for wisdom for myself, and safety for little Poseidon.  We will meet him soon, on the other side of a long and painful process, but I look forward with eagerness to the time when we will hold him in our arms and know that every step of this journey was one that we would do again if we had the chance.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

His name is Poseidon now? That's awesome.