Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Devotional--Work, Part V

2 Samuel 7:4-7

But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan: Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the Lord: Are you the one to build me a house to live in? I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent and a tabernacle. Wherever I have moved about among all the people of Israel, did I ever speak a word with any of the tribal leaders of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, ‘Why have you not built me a house of cedar?’
*****************

  Sometimes, in our work, we think we have it all figured out.  We think we know the direction we're supposed to go, the exact next step of our journey, the way God is leading us.  Sometimes we are so certain that it feels as though God has put up neon signs to direct our feet.

  And then, it turns out we're wrong.  And that's ok.  You're not the first one that has happened to.

  David was certain that he needed to build a temple for the Ark, for the glory of God.  He believed with all his heart that this was the right thing to do, the next step in his life, in his work as king.

  But God said 'no.'  God had other plans for David.

  And sometimes God has other plans for you.

  It doesn't mean God doesn't love you.  It doesn't mean that God doesn't want you to work as hard as you can, with passion and commitment in all your labors.  It simply means that sometimes God will close a door, sometimes very directly.  I believe that whenever God does, God will direct us elsewhere, and give us another path to wander.

  Sometimes it will feel like our work has been wasted--but God is using it all, building us, building the Kingdom of God through us.  So when God says 'no', do not be frustrated, but rather recognize that God will place something new in the world for you, and God will continue to use you for God's glory.

Blessings

No comments: