Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Luke 8:16-21


Dear Luke,
I find your last letter concurs with one I received just yesterday.  A man I trust relayed the story of the sower just as you have described it, only without the explanation!  I am most grateful for your discovery of this additional conclusion, for I had spent hours examining the story and hoping to make headway into the web of truth it promised to hold.  I wonder what parables Jesus might use for you or I—would he used the same ones, and trust us to determine the agrarian meaning of them, or would they be more properly translated into something we might understand? 
Oh, how I long to know what Jesus might say to me today!  I’d love to know if I’m on the right path, if I’m truly following him or if I’ve only convinced myself that this life is a gift of service to him.  Maybe I’m misconstrued the words and teachings of Jesus so deeply that my life isn’t actually an offering at all, rather a justification of my own desires mixed with an occasional desire to receive Jesus’ benefits.
Forgive my melancholy ramblings, Luke, but this series of letters has challenged my own faith in ways I did not expect.  I had thought this would be a confirmation march for me through the actions of Jesus, and that by the end there would be such a crystal clear case for the Lordship of Jesus Christ that no reasonable man could ever turn from faith in him.  Instead, we have rebukes and complicated teachings that seem to offer a consistent message, but not one that is always easy to hear.  The disciples themselves must have wondered if they were even truly following this man.
The version of the story of the sower that I received has some additional material tacked on to the end of it.  Jesus went on to tell the crowd the simple fact that a lit lamp is never put under a jar or a bed, but rather displayed on a lampstand so that its light may benefit others.  Strangely, though, he went from here to say that all hidden and secret things will eventually come to light, and that more will be given to those who already have much, while those who have little will lose what little they have.
I have often heard the invocation for followers of Jesus to let the light of Christ shine through them for others to see, but this particular teachings casts a bit of a different light upon that story.  Jesus uses the light to expose those things we would prefer not to see the light of day.  For those of us with things in our past that we might not be particularly proud of, this is no easy teaching.  What, I might ask, then happens to those things?  Displayed for all to see, is it merely for our embarrassment, or is there a greater purpose they serve?  Or is this an admonition to prevent us from doing things that we believe are in secret?
And as for those with more discovering additional blessings added to their lot, it hardly seems fair.  Is this an argument for us to work toward great faith, so we can find it added to, or is there something deeper working here?  Why would Jesus take from those who have little?  I am lost here, Luke, and these passages trouble me more than they should.
The remainder of my message is also somewhat disturbing, I believe.  At first reading, it is rather harsh, but the more I reflect upon it, the more incredible it seems.  Jesus was told that his mother and brothers had come to see him but could not reach him because of the crowd.  Rather than leave the crowd like most of us would, he instead says that his mother and brothers are those who hear and do the word of God.
As I said, I was initially shocked at this rejection of his true family.  If I were them, I would be rather hurt by these words.  There is always a special place in my heart for my family.  Jesus, however, refuses to give anyone special privilege just because they are family.  In his mind, anyone who serves God is equal to another.  I realized, after a great deal of laboring on these words, that this gives great advantage to those who have no worldly advantages.  Their willingness to do the word of God elevates them to a place that they would never be able to make it based on political connections.  It is truly a level playing field—all we have to do is serve God.  (I say that as though it is an easy thing to do!)
Jesus did not always make himself clear, but it is refreshing to see a leader who didn’t necessarily put his friends and family first.  He welcomed all who came with an open and earnest heart, as you discussed in your last letter.  His love seems unconditional, and as a man who is far from perfect, I rejoice in such a fact.
Sincerely,
Theophilus

No comments: