Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Luke 9:1-6


Dear Luke,
You describe your inner struggle so well as you put these stories to paper.  I often wish I had invested the same time and energy into the decision.  When others ask me how I came to faith, often awaiting a dramatic story about God’s direct intervention in my life, they leave disappointed when I tell them that someone asked me if I wanted to follow Jesus, and I said yes, because it felt like the right thing to do at the time.  I have later built structures under that faith, and I believe it now rests on a firm foundation, but my own journey into faith was rather poorly thought out and entered into without realization of the enormous commitment I was making.  Had someone told me at the time that I’d be handing over my entire life to a man who was crucified on a cross, I’m not so sure I would have leapt quite so willingly!
The story you relate about the healing of the woman and the girl makes me long for every detail of Jesus’ every movement.  I want to know each word that he said and every person he reached out to.  I know that you have related the story with a full account of the facts available to you, but my very soul longs for more, for a complete knowledge of the life of this man.  He fascinates me.  His every act draws me deeper into faith, and the more I learn the more I realize that I have so much deeper yet to go.
I believe the disciples were also transformed by watching his actions.  He was constantly teaching them, preparing them for their own ministries.  I can only imagine how much they learned during times for which we have no record.  They must have had so many questions as they prepared to do something completely new, to go out with a new message and tell others about Jesus.  It probably helped that stories of Jesus’ miracles had reached every corner of the land, but to go out on their own would surely have been a daunting task.
But send them out is exactly what Jesus did next.  He gathered them together and gave them power over demons as well as diseases, expecting them to use these powers not only to heal but also to announce God’s Kingdom.  Just think of what it would have felt like to be filled with such power!  Imagine how eager they were to go forth and test these powers out, to speak with authority over a demon or lay hands on a man who has been hurting for decades.  The disciples had abilities they had perhaps only dreamed about, and they were given free license to use them.  I wonder if they were nervous about proclaiming God’s Kingdom—it would be easy to use these powers to heal and cast out demons, but they were instructed to connect this power with God’s Kingdom, to make sure that the witnesses knew that they were healed because of God, and that God was calling them to renew their faith.  It would have been intimidating to think of the disciples attracting the attention of the Roman army or their adversaries, the Pharisees, but Jesus’ confidence must have bled over into them.
Jesus did not make this task easy, though, for he also instructed the disciples to take nothing with them on their journey.  They were to leave behind a staff, bag, bread or money.  They wouldn’t even have the comfort of an extra tunic.  This was a lesson for the disciples in depending on God and the community.  They weren’t sent out to live comfortably on their own—they were to go into a community and let the community support them.  They were told to stay in a house they enter, to build relationships.  If they find a community in which they are not welcomed, Jesus instructed them to shake the dust from that village off their feet as a testimony against them.  They would learn as they went, village by village, and the Kingdom of God would be spread through them.
So the disciples listened and they left, going through villages throughout the area, telling the story and sharing the good news, curing diseases as well.  Crowds must have turned out to meet them, and when they witnessed the power of God working through them, many must have gone off in search of Jesus, desperate to hear more.  The disciples gave the people a foretaste of what they would witness when they came before Christ, and many must have been changed by God working through them. 
What the disciples did on their journeys through the villages is no different than what myself and other Christians are called to do in our own lives.  We are called to let God work through us so that others want to meet God and believe.  I may not be able to cure diseases, but I can tell the story and share the good news of the Kingdom of God, hopeful that my own words will pique someone’s curiosity about Jesus.  It’s not easy, but I certainly don’t have it as rough as the disciples did—I have an extra tunic!  I hope that the comfort with which I am surrounded does not endanger my own witness or compromise my own faith.  I will admit to wondering about that, Luke.  Perhaps I have rounded off some of the sharp edges of Jesus’ teachings because I am unwilling to offer everything up to God and have the type of dependence on him that these disciples had.  I, too, still have much to learn.  Though my commitment was rather immature in the beginning of my journey of faith, I am growing, maturing, learning, and I pray that other disciples will continue to teach me, that my own faith may deepen and I may have this dependence that the disciples learned at the knee of Jesus.
Sincerely,
Theophilus 

No comments: