Friday, February 15, 2013

Luke 8:26-39


Dear Luke,
I wish I could relate how many times I have pictured in my mind’s eye the scene you have described in your last letter.  I have imagined the clouds, menacing and ominous, surrounding the boat and looming over the disciples’ souls, like a predator intimidates his prey before turning in for the kill.  Then I have imagined the force with which Jesus’ words rebuked them, and seen them run for the horizon as obedient children do when they hear the words of their master.  Each time has been more marvelous than the time before it, and I share the fascination of the disciples as I picture Jesus commanding the wind and the waves to flee from that place.  Like a master chef, you have served me a rich meal of images and wonder upon which I have dined these many days.  Thank you, Luke, for increasing my wonder at the man.
When I received your letter with such vivid details, I sent forth a man to discover what happened when they reached their destination.  I deeply desired to know what would follow such a miraculous event.  I can picture the disciples, muttering to themselves and staring at Jesus for the remainder of the trip, wondering exactly what kind of man this was with whom they got into this boat.  Did they picture such a journey?  And was all of this a metaphor for the larger trip of their discipleship?  Would such storms continue to tear at them, too, or would he rebuke them in the same way he did the storm?
Well, it is with good news that I report credible evidence of what occurred when they reached Gerasene country, on the other side of the lake from Galilee.  They did not have much time to relax or to relay their adventures, for as soon as they stepped out of the boat a man possessed by demons met them.  This man, I have learned, was something of a peculiar figure.  The demon that possessed him had seized him so many times that he had been tied down by chains, although the man would often break the chains and throw off the guard in the throes of his torture and flee into the wild.  He lived out among the tombs, unclean ground to many of that time, and he wore no clothes!  Imagine the disciples of Jesus, getting out of a boat, and having a naked, possessed man run up to them, falling down before Jesus and crying out, “What do you have to do with me, Jesus, Son of God?  Don’t torment me!” 
I think you or I would do a double-take at this scene, and perhaps we might fear for Jesus’ safety.  Jesus, however, couldn’t be surprised by such a scene, and commanded the demon to leave this man.  He must have felt such love for a man who had been tortured like this—I imagine that he knew that he had to be tied down, and surely Jesus saw the weight those chains had left on the man’s body, on his soul, and Jesus came to free him from this past of tortured possession by a demon.  Strangely, this demon identifies Jesus as the Son of God, and I wonder what the disciples said to one another when they heard this and put it together with the events of their trip across the lake.
Jesus then asks for the demon’s name, and the demon calls itself Legion, for there were many demons in this man.  Knowing Jesus’ power over them, they begged him not to send them into the chasm. 
Obviously, such an event did not go unobserved.  Someone would have spotted the boat drawing near, and they probably would have heard this demon-possessed man, a man for whom parents would have kept an eye out for in case children were nearby.  There were herds of swine on a nearby hill, and the demons saw these as prime occupants for them.  Jesus gave them permission to occupy the swine, and they took the swine, although in their fright these swine then rushed down a hill into the lake, where they all drowned.  It must have been quite a sight for all to see!  I wouldn’t have known what to make of it, and I doubt that he herdsmen in charge of the swine knew exactly what they had just witnessed, either.  In any case, they ran off to tell everyone, as you or I would do, and in response people rushed out to see Jesus, to see if these fantastic reports could truly be believed.
People teemed out to see Jesus, and when they did they found a most remarkable sight.  This man from whom they had shielded their children, this man who had been bound in chains, this man who had rushed around the town naked, was clothed, sitting at the feet of Jesus as any sane might man might do.  The people were afraid, probably uncertain as to the origin of Jesus’ power over this man.  They were so afraid they asked Jesus to leave them at once, a notion that is shocking to me, since I know so much more about Jesus, but great power can intimidate many people, and if all they saw was a man who had power over a demon-possessed man, I can understand how they could be filled with fear at such a sight.  The healed man begged to follow Jesus, but instead Jesus gave him a mission—he told the man to go home and tell everyone what God has done for him.
So Jesus went one way and this man went the other, and both went about their lives proclaiming what God does in the lives of those who love him.  I will always wonder what happened in the lives of those who sent Jesus away—did they regret not asking more questions, not pursuing the truth behind the scene they witnessed, or were they so certain of their initial conclusions that they never gave it a second thought, but shushed children whenever the subject came up.
It’s not as if they are the only people to ever retract from Jesus when confronted with his power.  Many people today do the same thing—they draw back in fear when they realize all that Jesus can do.  It’s not an easy thing to follow Jesus, and you have to be willing to hand over all your preconceived ideas and all of your preformed habits.  You have to love the unlovable and serve your enemies.  Some people are afraid of that, and rather than rub shoulders with those they have judged or those they dislike, they recoil in fear.  It saddens me, but not everyone will accept Jesus.  He’s very different than other leaders.  I love him and long to serve him, but I will not pretend that it’s easy for anyone to do the same.  It’s often not even easy for me.  I just hope that people wrestle with the whole story, rather than take one image or story and decide the entire truth about Jesus based on that singular incident.
Sincerely,
Theophilus

No comments: