Friday, March 1, 2013

Luke 10:13-24


Dear Luke,
May God guide your thoughts and your heart as you ponder this decision.  Indeed, the Kingdom of God has drawn near to you, and the onus rests upon you alone to decide whether it is worth your life.  Clearly many of the disciples and followers of Jesus thought it was so—they were willing to give up everything, to rise their lives as sheep among wolves.  They depended completely on Jesus, going out among the towns with virtually no provisions, trusting that everything would be provided by the power of God working in and through others.  They were so caught up in Jesus’ vision for life that nothing else mattered—they were single-mindedly focused on discipleship.  Oh, that I could be the same!  So much of my life seems to distract me from my discipleship that I wonder if Jesus will recognize me at all.  I will admit that I am much afraid of the visions Jesus paints for those towns that rejected him, as I fear that my own half-hearted discipleship, my weak efforts to follow him, amount to rejection in some ways.  Perhaps I am too harsh on myself, but I cannot help but wonder what God thinks of my distracted discipleship.
We know from witnesses that Christ did not seem to be patient with those towns and villages that rejected him.  In a follow-up to you re-telling of the sending of the seventy, Jesus pronounces woe on the cities of Bethsaida and Chorazin.  They failed to repent despite powerful deeds that were done in their bounds.  Some cities, such as Tyre and Sidon, would have repented at the sight of such things, but not these two, and as a result judgment will not be pleasant for them.  I know that you say that fear should not be our primary motivator, Luke, but I cannot help but catch my breath in fear at the thought of harsh judgment in those days.  Capernaum, too, is spoken against harshly, for Jesus announces that it will be brought down to Hades rather than up to heaven.
I’d like to shrink from such language some days, instead preferring the softer, gentler, kinder side of Jesus, but I cannot omit this from our record, and I cannot pretend that it is not there.  Jesus is not afraid to pronounce judgment on those places who reject him, and he goes on to say that rejection of him is tantamount to rejection of God, and there are real consequences for rejecting God.  I don’t mean to rush you into a decision, but I do want you to know that this decision is important.  I know that you do not take it lightly.  Jesus equates listening to disciples with listening to him, and I believe that those who choose to follow him continue to point to him with their words and their actions.  We can learn about what it means to follow him by listening to his disciples, meaning that those who claim to be disciples have an onus to follow Jesus with integrity and not lead others astray.
In some time, the seventy returned from their mission.  They came back rejoicing at the fact that the demons had submitted to them, and I cannot blame them for their joy, for I expect that if I was capable of exercising such power I, too, would be filled with joy.  I cannot imagine the sight, but it must have been overwhelming to see such a thing and realize that you were a part of it!
I wish I could have seen the look on Jesus’ face when he heard their reports.  He must have been filled with confidence in the seventy, glad to see them joining in his effort to destroy sin and break the Devil’s power.  He goes on to teach them, telling them about how he saw Satan fall from the heights of heaven, descending like lightning.  What a sight that must have been—and how it must have reinforced the awe the disciples had of this man!  Jesus continued, “Nothing can hurt you, for my authority rests within you, and snakes and scorpions that fall beneath your feet will not hurt you, and the power of the enemy will not defeat you.  But be careful at the source of your joy—do not focus on how the spirits respond to your rebuke, but always remember that your names are written in heaven.”  I think that Jesus was reminded them that the purpose of their mission was not for earthly glory or for worldly renown that might come with such deeds of power, but that a life lived forever with God was their focus, and such deeds would bring them closer.
Jesus alternated between teaching and rejoicing.  Soon, he was rejoicing in the Spirit and thanking God, calling him Father, the Lord of heaven and earth, for hiding the wisdom he was teaching from the wise and revealing them to infants out of his gracious will.  Luke, I can’t help but wonder how the disciples felt about being called infants, but I expect they were so thrilled to be this close to Jesus that they didn’t mind, for they trusted him completely!  Jesus thanked God for giving him all things, and he rejoiced that no one knows who Jesus is except for God, and in the same way no one knows who God is except Jesus and anyone Jesus reveals this knowledge to.  I believe Jesus is telling us how important it is to listen to him—for in his knowledge and power and teachings we learn who God is, and if we feed on his truth like infants at the breast we’ll grow in our wisdom and faith.  However, there are those who get by on their own wisdom, and they will suffer for their arrogance.
In the affirming way that Jesus had with the disciples, he told them privately that they were blessed to see what they see, for prophets and kings desired to witness, to see and hear, the things they were witnessing and did not, but these have the chance to do so.  I expect that much of it is rooted in pride, in a refusal to listen to the voice of God around them, preferring their own thoughts and the company of those the world considered wise.  May we be more careful in choosing who to follow, ensuring that our ears and eyes lead us toward, rather than away, from God.
Forgive me, Luke, for sometimes I write as though you believe as I do.  I cannot help it—I get so caught up in the power of the story and the authority of Jesus that I forget all else.  I know that you weigh each word and phrase, and I hope that my own portray Jesus in an honest light, that you are able to see him as he truly is.  It is a magnificent thing, faith, and it will change the way you see the world as well as your own life.  It has power in us and over us, and I hope that my own life bears witness to the power of God.
Sincerely,
Theophilus 

No comments: