Thursday, March 21, 2013

Luke 13:10-21


Dear Luke,
I understand.  I hope you know that I understand your frustrations.  This is not an easy thing that you have set out to discern, and Jesus does not always make it easy for us to understand him.  Some of the questions you ask are the same questions I ask when I gather with other Christians.  I do not believe that following Jesus requires stunting intellectual growth or giving up on any opportunities to ask questions of what we believe.  I have found answers to many of your questions, and those to which I have not found answers I have come to peace with not having complete knowledge.  I trust Jesus, which means that I am more like a child—when he is doing or saying something I cannot grasp, I am willing to let it lie, to trust that he is working towards something good.  I will ask plenty of questions, and I will doggedly seek answers to some of them, but others I let go, trusting him.
As to what you perceive as threats, I hear them as urgent pleas for people to turn to God.  It is two sides of the same coin, but as one who has found peace with God, I am prone to be more lenient.  I believe that life is a perilous thing, that just as that tower crashed and claimed eighteen lives, our own lives can end today or tomorrow without warning.  We do not have any guarantees, and Jesus is reminding us of this by saying that we need to choose to follow God while we still can, because there may not be a tomorrow for us to use as a day of decision.  I, too, am flummoxed by Jesus’ lack of a return, for I thought he would be back by now, and while I accept that it may be some time yet before he returns, I do know that I am called to be ready, called to have repented and turned my life over to Christ, so that whether he returns or I die, I am prepared to meet him as a sinner who has repented.  Maybe Jesus is trying to strike fear into people, but the thought of eternal separation from God is, to me, a pretty scary thing, so perhaps some fear is justified.
I will not try and answer all of your questions, Luke, but I will be honest about what I believe.  I believe that Jesus is the only way to peace with God, and I don’t want to dance politely around your sensitivities and not claim that exclusivity.  I hope you respect that.  I will do my best to respect you and your search, and to let you dwell in the uncertainty that comes with any honest search of a difficult topic, but I also want you to be clear about where I stand. 
I have news of yet another healing.  It is a controversial one, if you will believe it, for some were very upset and who and when Jesus chose to heal.  In this case, Jesus was teaching in a synagogue one Sabbath when a woman who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen long years appeared before him.  It’s a dramatic scene to picture, the woman bent over before Jesus, his compassionate eyes turned towards her, and the crowd waiting to see what would happen.  They didn’t have to wait long, because Jesus’ hands soon found her, and he declared her free as she stood straight up, praising God for a healing she had waited almost two decades for.  I am sure the gasp of the crowd was lost in her shouts of praise, but even those who had seen him heal others must have been amazed by what he had done. 
All, however, were not making a joyful noise!  The synagogue’s leader chose the path of indignation, exhorting the crowd to be angered because Jesus had healed this woman on the Sabbath day, rather than using one of the other six days of the week as the time to do this work.  I imagine the plea to the crowd fell upon some deaf ears, but perhaps some were talking themselves into this man’s line of thinking when Jesus rebuked him.
Hypocrites!  Oxen and donkeys you are not afraid to lead to the water to drink on the Sabbath, and yet this woman, a daughter of Abraham, is to spend another day as Satan’s prisoner because it is the Sabbath?  Should she not be freed?
Jesus’ opponents had no answer to him, and they were filled with shame at what they had said, a shame made even deeper as the crowd continued to rejoice because of the things he was doing.  The few opponents were so insistent on resisted his every action, but they could not compete with his vast intellect and ability to overwhelm their petty arguments against his compassionate acts.
It’s easy to look at these acts as small feats, little victories against the forces that oppose Jesus.  But Jesus teaches about how God works through small things.  He compares God’s kingdom to a tiny mustard seed, planted in the ground, that grows into a tree whose branches are filled with nests and birds.  He also uses yeast, something tiny that a woman might knead into a large amount of flour that has an effect that far outweighs its size. 
Jesus is teaching us that God’s kingdom may not always appear dramatic at first, and we may not grasp the whole truth at the beginning, but it grows and grows into something far greater than we might expect if we let God do a mighty work.  We may not understand how it all works, but Jesus assures us that it does indeed work if we trust in God.
I hope this helps you in your anxiety and frustration, Luke.  May you come to peace with your questions, and may you trust God to turn a small seed into something marvelous in your life.
Sincerely,
Theophilus 

No comments: