Friday, March 8, 2013

Luke 11:14-23


Dear Theophilus,
Thanks for your words on prayer.  It is a foreign land in which I feel that I have no residence, and while that can be said for much of this experience, it is particularly true for this subject.  You have the comfort of looking back over the years and seeing when and how God has intervened according to your prayers, while I only have hopeful slings that I hurl toward the heavens in the hopes that God might find them worthy of attention.  If God were to intervene in a dramatic way in my life it would change my attitude toward prayer, but until then I continue to cast a wary eye toward the practice.
Jesus went from this teaching on prayer to a fairly common practice for him, casting out a demon.  The one who had been mute then spoke, to the amazement of all, but some in the crowd wondered aloud if he had power over such demons because he was of demonic origin himself.  Perhaps the rumor spread quickly through a crowd, or maybe an isolated few only dare to give it attention, but some began to demand from Jesus a sign from heaven to mollify their suspicions.  I don’t think I object to asking Jesus for a sign, but clearly Jesus knew their hearts and saw malice rather than innocent and inquiring minds.
To counter their argument and convince the crowd that he was not of Satan, Jesus told them that any kingdom divided against itself will falter and perish.  This has been true of every kingdom the world has seen—as soon as they divide, they begin to wobble, and soon that turns into a tumble, and soon the pages of history are the only ones left examining that kingdom.  Jesus asked the crowd how it could be that he would be casting out demons by Satan’s power, for that would mean that Satan’s kingdom is divided.  Jesus then moved from here to one of his favorite subjects, the kingdom of God.  Having reached the conclusion that he was not of Satan, he then offered them the thought that he was casting out these demons by the finger of God, meaning that the kingdom of God was near, putting the crowd in a position to decide what to do about Jesus—for if the kingdom of God was near, he was no longer an idle show but a moment for decision, a commitment worth making.  This is the discussion we’ve been having, Theophilus—is this all a show, or is there meat on these bones, a heartiness that demands a decision, a commitment?  Jesus is trying to draw the crowd to that point, to move beyond entertainment and offer their lives.  He’s speaking through the mouths of those who retell this story, too, reaching out to the hearers today in the hopes that they, that I, might get off the bench and move into the story with our lives. 
Jesus illustrates his point with the picture of a strong man guarding his castle against intruders.  You know the type, the one who is fully armed behind locked doors, unwilling to let any intrude upon his sanctity.  When this man is defeated by a stronger foe, his armor and his weapons will be taken as booty by his conqueror.  In the same way, Jesus is telling the crowd, those who choose not to follow Jesus will be seen as enemies and scattered.
These words fall heavy upon me, Theophilus.  I don’t want to be scattered.  I don’t want to be seen as an enemy of Jesus, a man opposed to his wisdom and his guidance.  I don’t know if I want him to rule my heart and I am not ready to offer him everything, but I detest the thought of him seeing me as an enemy.
Is there no middle way?
Sincerely,
Luke 

No comments: