Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Psalm 49:10-20

Psalm 49:10-20
New International Version (NIV)

  10 For all can see that the wise die, that the foolish and the senseless also perish, leaving their wealth to others. 11 Their tombs will remain their houses forever, their dwellings for endless generations, though they had named lands after themselves. 12 People, despite their wealth, do not endure; they are like the beasts that perish.
  13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves, and of their followers, who approve their sayings. 14 They are like sheep and are destined to die; death will be their shepherd (but the upright will prevail over them in the morning). Their forms will decay in the grave, far from their princely mansions. 15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead; he will surely take me to himself.
  16 Do not be overawed when others grow rich, when the splendor of their houses increases; 17 for they will take nothing with them when they die, their splendor will not descend with them. 18 Though while they live they count themselves blessed— and people praise you when you prosper— 19 they will join those who have gone before them, who will never again see the light of life.
  20 People who have wealth but lack understanding are like the beasts that perish.

*********************

  If this country bought into this Psalm, particularly verse 16, life would look very different.  We'd stop envying the lives and wealth of others.  We'd stop investing time and energy in the choices of the wealthy, believing that they live lives to be emulated because of their wealth.  Rather than use wealth to judge one another, we'd have to peer deep into the hearts of one another to see what kind of life people led.
  No matter how much money I can acquire in this life, I cannot purchase eternity.  I cannot buy my redemption.  I cannot pay the price for my sins.  Only God can give this to me, and he won't give it to me based on how much money I have.  He'll give it to me if I place my faith in him and graciously receive it.
  Before God, all are equal.  We do well to treat all as equal in this life, remembering that money can do many wonderful and splendid things in this life, but it is only a tool, not a measuring stick for measuring the worth of people.

May you recognize today that your standing before God depends on Christ, not on yourself

No comments: