Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Prayer for Wednesday, July 1

Holy God,
  You dwell in unapproachable light.
  I cannot begin to imagine your throne, where you are seated in glory.  Every image, no matter how rich in my mind, falls incredibly short of the true measure of glory.  To see you is to cease living, so overwhelming is your glory.  Nothing but light radiates from your throne, and I could not imagine crawling before it, so tainted with sin am I.
  And yet you left your throne to walk and talk among us, to hold us in our pain and to remind us of your power.  You suffered for us, so that we might be restored to a right relationship, so that we might be redeemed.  Your love never stopped pursuing us, even when we turned our backs on you.
  You are amazing, Lord, and I pray that I never lose sight of my awe and wonder at your love.  May the redemption you have purchased at great cost be ballast for my soul, that when the winds howl and the seas roar, that I may grip tightly to the peace you purchased for me, so that I may not fear but may boldly live with the firm and certain knowledge that the God who can create with his voice can wash me clean by the blood of his Son, and that the misery and pain and agony of the cross was not in vain, that it was not the moment of death's triumph over good, but that it was a beginning, a new creation for this sinful world, for we could recognize our own sin and see a way forward, a path that love carved in stone, for we could now come to you, and you would bring us into your throneroom, where we might dwell in eternal peace and joy and wonder and love and hope.
  May the joy of Christ be my strength.

Amen

No comments: