Wednesday, April 10, 2019

1 John 2:1-6

1 John 2:1-6 
English Standard Version (ESV)


  To me, this is great parenting.  "Don't break the rules, but if you do, God still loves you." 

  The church has invested a lot of time in telling people what is wrong and who is wrong.  People get the idea that the moment they mess up, the church writes them off for good.  Sometimes, the churches that are the loudest are the ones shouting at the most people.
  The churches that need to be sure they are heard are the ones proclaiming that God's love doesn't vanish the moment someone makes a mistake.  God's love is perfect, and God sent Jesus into the world to make a path forward through sin and into grace.  God knows we are going to sin.  God knows I've certainly had my fair share, and probably a few other people's fair share as well.  But I fall into grace, under grace, and am surrounded by grace, just as you are -- we are not encouraged to sin, but when we do, know that God is patient and kind. 
  So let us always strive for perfection, but not to the point of anxiety, but out of gratitude for what God has done.  Let our lives match what we believe.  You never know the impact you might have on someone...

  Today is the visitation for Tim Dressman.  He was my high school soccer coach, and he made a world of difference in my life.  It's hard to put into words, but the first few years of high school weren't an easy time for me.  Coach Dressman invested in me, and I'm a better person for it -- I have a world of gratitude for the gift of love he gave to me.  The time and care he poured into the team changed my life. 

  So who knows what difference and impact you might make on the life of another.  Just as a tiny course change now alters the path of a ship over miles, tiny nudges of grace and love can alter the life of another in ways we truly underestimate.

 

No comments: