Thursday, April 25, 2019

1 John 3:11-18

1 John 3:11-18 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Spending time around small children has changed the way I think.  They know, intellectually, what they should do in any given situation.  When they make poor choices, as they are prone to do at times, it's not because they have thought through a process and come to the logical conclusion that a temper tantrum is the most logical choice.  It's not a measured outcome that throwing oneself on the floor and screaming is the most likely way to achieve their ultimate goals -- it just happens.  They always regret it later -- but in the moment, they're overcome with emotion and desire.  I don't like, don't tolerate it, but I still love them, even in their worst moments, because I know who they are.
  In God's eyes, I'm not so different.  In my worst moments, I react out of fear or impatience or selfishness.  I don't always think everything through -- sometimes I act impulsively.  But God still loves me.  God knew every choice I would make, even my worst ones, and loves me anyway.  God shows us love by dying on the cross for us, defeating sin and death so that we might know the fullness of God's love.
  The author is encouraging the listeners to make the same loving and selfless choices.  If people reject the love of God and cling to death and brokenness, that's a tragedy.  If we see the love of God in Jesus Christ and opt for life, striving to love others, then we revel in the light and love of God.  We're not perfect -- but we're loved, and that gives us the courage each day to rise from the sins of our past and stretch towards the abundant life that lays itself down for others, that empties itself of treasure only to find that God, in God's infinite goodness, fills us once more.

No comments: