Monday, April 15, 2019

John Donne Poem

Something a little different this morning -- I came across this John Donne poem over the weekend and thought it was a good start to Holy Week -- it reminds us that our sin, although still often nipping at our heels, is not free to determine our fate, for a greater force has stepped in and redeemed us from sin.

A Hymn to God the Father 
  BY JOHN DONNE

Wilt thou forgive that sin where I begun,
 Which was my sin, though it were done before?
 Wilt thou forgive that sin, through which I run,
 And do run still, though still I do deplore?
 When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
 For I have more.

Wilt thou forgive that sin which I have won
 Others to sin, and made my sin their door?
 Wilt thou forgive that sin which I did shun
 A year or two, but wallow'd in, a score?
 When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
  For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
 My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
 But swear by thyself, that at my death thy Son
 Shall shine as he shines now, and heretofore;
 And, having done that, thou hast done;
 I fear no more.

No comments: