Thursday, June 13, 2019

John 1:35-42

John 1:35-42
English Standard Version (ESV)

  I have a supervisor at work who rarely answers my questions directly.  Instead of just answering the question, he takes the time to explain to me the background, and then helps me figure it out for myself.  At first, it was frustrating, because I wanted a simple answer.  Three years later, I'm grateful, because I've learned a lot more than I would have on my own, and I know how to figure things out for myself now. 
  Jesus doesn't always give direct answers, either.  There are certain questions to which Jesus was very direct, but often, he invited the questioner into a deeper relationship.  The two disciples were asking Jesus where he was staying, and rather than a direct answer, Jesus invited him to come and see, to discover more about Jesus, and as a result, he discovered that Jesus is the Messiah.  As a result of the invitation, his life was changed.
  Jesus has invited us as well.  This doesn't mean we'll immediately have easy answers to life's toughest questions, but it means that we'll learn about the purpose of life and the eternal relationship that shapes everything.  We'll learn about unconditional love and grace, and we'll discover a peace that passes all understanding. 
  The answers aren't always what we expect, but the invitation will surpass expectations.  Come and see, Jesus says, and those who choose to accept the invitation have a vision that forever alters life.

No comments: