Tuesday, June 18, 2019

John 2:1-12

John 2:1-12
English Standard Version (ESV) 

  There's only about 1,500 things to say about this passage, but I'd like to focus on two.  The first being that Jesus uses the jars that are for purification.  Now, last night I crawled up on the roof and was cleaning out my gutters in the rain.  There was some really interesting stuff that had collected in the gutters -- it's dirt that has filtered down from the roof and sat in water for who knows how long.  Nasty stuff -- I washed my hands for a long time after doing that, and the water running off my hands was filthy.  Whoever was using these purification jars likely wasn't cleaning gutters, but I doubt that they had the cleanest hands.  These jars wouldn't have been clean on the inside, but Jesus opted to use them to provide the finest wine.  Jesus redeems them and re-purposes them without changing them.  Simply by choosing them, they're made clean for a higher purpose.
  Also, Jesus produces a lot of wine -- 180 gallons.  That could keep a party going for weeks!  When Jesus blesses the party, he does so in abundance, giving them infinitely more than they could ask or imagine.
  It's not always easy to trust in Jesus.  At times, it feels like supplies are running low and you're uncertain as to where what you need will come from.  Things feel scarce.  I don't have easy answers, but I trust that ultimately, Jesus redeems us, repurposes us, and provides us with abundance beyond what we can believe.

No comments: