Friday, November 1, 2019

John 18:25-27

John 18:25-27 
English Standard Version (ESV)

  Ahead of time, Peter said he would go and die with Jesus, but in the heat of the moment, he failed.  The great thing?  Jesus still loves him, Jesus still redeems him, Jesus still uses him to build the church..
  Ahead of time, you and I say the right things.  At church on Sunday, I promise God that I'm going to do better this week, that I'll spend more time in prayer and study, that I'll choose the challenging path of faithfulness.  In the heat of the moment?  I hit the snooze and stay in bed.  I zone out and read something easier.  I spend my free time prowling the kitchen rather than diving into Scripture. 
  The great thing?  Jesus still loves you.  Jesus still redeems us.  Jesus still uses us to build the church.

  So let not your head be bowed beneath the weight of unfulfilled expectations and disappointment.  You are precious and treasured, and the hope of the future is always bright, even (and especially) in the darkest of nights.

  Today is All Saints' Day, celebrated since the 4th century.  Originally focused on martyrs, it was expanded to include all who have passed through the veil of death and reign in the fullness of the Kingdom of God.  Today, may we give thanks for those who have gone before us, and may we give thanks for the God who makes death a defeated shadow and promises life beyond the grave.

No comments: