Monday, November 25, 2019

The County Fair

  Not too long ago, my daughter wanted to celebrate her birthday at the amusement park.  So away we went, and I was drafted to ride the rides with her and her friends, as I had the stronger stomach of the two of us (that's not saying much, though).
  I rode the log flume 4 straight times, and then on to the roller coaster and some other stomach churning adventures, before finally we made it to some contraption designed to make you sick to your stomach, where the ride rockets up and then drops, only to repeat the process until your stomach is uncertain as to whether it's up or down. 
  Well, my daughter stood on her toes, but she was just a hair too short to ride, so she had to stand by the side while I reluctantly joined the other girls for the ride.  As I was going up, I noticed her dejected face, as she just missed out on something she really wanted.
 
  What's great about God's love is that it's not a measuring stick.  It's not as if we are completely rejected and left behind if we miss out by an inch.  We aren't trying to qualify, stretching to earn God's love and hoping that we're tall enough.  No, we are enveloped by the love and grace of God, wrapped in unconditional love, and accepted in spite of our failures.  Our qualifications depend on Christ, not on us, so we'll never be labeled as not tall or good enough.  We are enough because we are Christ's.

No comments: