Monday, January 4, 2021

Top Books of 2020

   I've never done this before, but I've been recording every book I've read for the last decade, and so I decided to do a top books of 2020 post before I get too deep into 2021.  I read 42 books (nearly 19k pages) in 2020.  I'm usually between 35-45 books on the year, with 56 being the high water mark (in 2011, before I had kids) and last year being the first year I broke 20k pages.

  My in-laws got me the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I know, it's not really a trilogy but 1 book split into 3 parts) and I'm already too deep into that to stop, so while I hadn't planned on those being the first books of 2021, it'll ensure the year starts out on a good note.  Without further delay --

Top Ten Books of 2020:

10)  Deacon King Kong by James McBride.  I almost gave up on this book in the early stages, as I had no idea where this tale was going.  It's based in the projects and the characters are unique souls, but I warmed to them quickly. This poignant tale of relationships and crime and religion and despair and redemption leaves your rooting for the entire community.

9) Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz.  I find everything Horowitz writes captivating.  His mysteries are always tightly woven and I try to avoid starting them when I know I have other commitments.  He doesn't reach the same heights as he did with Moriarty, but Moonflower Murders is a fun read.

8) Titan by Ron Chernow  I didn't know much about John D. Rockefeller, despite having gone to college in Cleveland.  The most interesting part of this doorstop of a book was the way Rockefeller didn't seem to have a conflict between his Christian faith and the ruthless (and often illegal) methods he used to grow Standard Oil.  The dissonance seemed to escape him as he built Standard Oil into a behemoth and became extraordinarily wealthy.  This book makes me think about wealth and what good stewardship looks like of any amount of money.

7) The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson.  Larson's story of the first year of Churchill's term as Prime Minister was heartbreaking.  Over and over again, the German bombers tear across the British skies, devastating London and other cities with the relentless bombing.  I don't know how the British managed to endure the tireless bombing, and Churchill's ability to resist despair is remarkable.  It certainly puts my daily struggles in perspective.

6) Edison by Edmund Morris.  Did you know Edison was nearly deaf and often 'listened' by biting instruments with his teeth and letting the vibrations travel up his jawbone?  Edison was truly a brilliant man who never reaped the full financial benefit of his inventions, partly because he continued to invest in mining operations.  How do you recognize a sunk cost?

5) This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger.  What a book.  Krueger's tale of four orphans taking a canoe down the Mississippi is hard to read at times, as the kids are betrayed by a system larger than them that seems infested with people caring only for themselves, and yet they find a way to push forward, fighting with some of the country's biggest demons along the way.  Not a book that can be put down once you start it.  This book helps me think about how we care for one another.

4) The Accidental Superpower by Peter Ziehan.  A friend of mine recommended this book to me, and it'll make you think.  Ziehan goes back to Bretton Woods and explains how America's rise to power was a unique road, as America's willingness to guarantee free trade post WWII has shaped so many global events in ways I hadn't thought about.  What does the future hold if America withdraws from such a position, and how do demographics influence global politics?  Ziehan's book challenged me to think about what America's role in the world should be going forward.

3) Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens.  As this book currently has 127,000 reviews on Amazon, I don't think there's much else I need to say about it.  Fascinating story about the relationship between people and the land, about betrayal, about intrigue.  Highly recommended, and the ending is masterfully done.

2) The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  I don't think I need to say much about this -- Rowling's universe that she creates pulls you in, and the struggle between good and evil in a magical land makes for a great adventure.  I hadn't read these since they came out.  Rachel has been reading them to the kids and I decided to re-read them in the midst of the pandemic, and they were a great escape.  

1) The Overstory by Richard Powers.  Without a doubt, this was the most captivating book I read in 2020.  Powers interweaves several human stories of tragedy and beauty with illuminating depth on the capabilities and characteristics of trees.  The trees are the central characters in this story of relationships that sometimes break your heart, and it'll change the way you notice the humble trees in your yard and the towering giants you pass by in a forest.


And because it was the last book I read and I'm still bitter about it, the easiest ranking of the year:  

The single worst book I read in 2020:  The Wandering Jew, by Eugene Sue.  It's nearly 1,400 pages and basically everyone dies (I know it's a spoiler, but as the book was written in 1844, I don't feel that guilty about it).  Don't read this book.  There were so many moments of crushing disappointment along the way that my greatest regret is not stopping at the first one.  The moment of redemption I was waiting for never came.  Ugh.

No comments: