Friday, May 27, 2022

Revelation 19:11-16

Revelation 19:11-16 

  Like many of you, I keep reading the news, and it's hard.  It's mostly sad, but sometimes, I get angry, then depressed, then despondent, and then I cycle back to angry.  It's easy to settle somewhere between heartbroken and angry, wondering what's become of this world.  I have my own ideas about moves that might lessen the chances of things like this happening again, but I realize that we can't stop 100% of violent incidents.  Mostly, it seems like we're stuck in a cycle where violence keeps claiming innocent lives, and we all hate it.  
  When I get despondent, this is one of the verses I turn to.  I think of the world as a battlefield that's been decimated by all the acts of violence that have claimed so many lives, and when I feel like I'm going to give up, I imagine Jesus riding to victory, with a robe dipped in blood, the armies of heaven following him on a white horse, and a sharp sword coming out of his mouth.  He is the one who will set things right, who will bring life where there is death, lifting up in resurrection those who have been innocently struck down and casting sin and death into the final death which they deserve.  I will follow Jesus as he rides to victory on his white horse, and it gives me encouragement to think of him riding to victory, especially when it feels like hope is barely holding on by a thread.
  May this image give you hope, too, especially on this Memorial Day weekend, when we remember and honor those who have given their lives for the sake of others.

No comments: