Thursday, June 16, 2022

Malachi 3:16-18

Malachi 3:16-18 

  The Lord pays attention, 
  There was a time I would've heard that as a threat.  I would've thought that the Lord, like Santa, was making a list and checking it twice, and those who were naughty were kept off the list.  Only the good boys and girls could end up on the Lord's list.
  But then I listened to the Gospel.
  And I heard it again.
  And again.
  And again.
  I'm a slow learner at times.
  But the Gospel tells us that Christ was good, and because Christ lived a perfect life, all those who believe end up in the book of remembrance, in the book of life.  It's not our goodness that gets us into the book -- it's Jesus'.  
  So then I started to worry if I believe in the right ways.  It all comes back to anxiety over performance -- it's the same worry as before, just dressed in different clothes.  It's the devil, whispering into the depths of my hearts that I'm not good enough, that I'll never be good enough.  But God roars with a mighty thunder, declaring to all the world that we are God's anointed, marked in the waters of baptism as Christ's own forever, and the devil shall not have us.
  We are God's treasured possessions, and we know this because we have seen the full price God was willing to pay to claim us as God's own.  God's own Son -- that price was not too high so that God could be with you forever.  
  The Lord pays attention.  The Lord saw your suffering, and the Lord saved you.

No comments: