Friday, June 24, 2022

The Cartographers (Peng Shepherd)

   What a great book.  

  In the beginning, I thought I knew where it was going.  I assumed The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd was another mystery.  An engaging tale that will keep the pages turning, but not memorable.  I've read a lot of these books over the years, and after a few pages, I generally know where they're going and enjoy the path along the way.

  But this one surprised me.  It took some sudden turns, venturing into the magical, asking questions about the purpose of maps and how relationships are transformed by pivotal events.  How do maps shape the world?  What power do they have?  

  And how do secrets change relationships?

  There are some imperfections about the plot, and the characters aren't as refined as I would have hoped, but overall, it was a thoroughly good read that I enjoyed and devoured!

No comments: