Monday, October 24, 2022

John 14:25-31

John 14:25-31

  What were the things you wanted when you were a kid?  When I was younger, I had a poster of a Lamborghini on my wall and thought that if you ever had a million dollars, then you wouldn't have a single problem in the world.  
  Well, I don't have a Lamborghini or a million dollars, but the idea of what success looks like as an adult is very, very different than what I thought it was as a kid.  The idea of anxiety didn't really occur to me as a youngster.  
  Did I appreciate the promise of Jesus in John 14 as a child?  Probably not.
  Do I fully appreciate it now?  I certainly do now.  When Jesus tells me that I should not let my heart be troubled, I think of all the things that trouble my heart, and I think about how all the promises of various things in the world that fall short of that, and it amazes me how much time and energy I invest trying to eliminate my own troubles, rather than turning to Jesus.  Money or success or beauty or fame or popularity -- none of these will ease all your troubles.  Many of them only make them worse.  
  But Jesus offers to give us peace.  It won't necessarily be peace like the world thinks about it, but it'll be peace that keeps our hearts from trouble and fear.  Let us cling closely to Jesus, in anticipate of this, hanging on to Christ as our only hope in every moment.

No comments: