Thursday, October 20, 2022

John 14:8-14

John 14:8-14 
English Standard Version 

  At one point, I wanted to be an architect.  Then I thought I'd be a pilot.  There were some other career choices, too, before I finally settled on engineer.  That didn't work out.  At all.  Most days, I'm still trying to figure out who I am!
  Jesus, however, knew exactly who he was.  He didn't waver on his identity - he was fully God and fully human.  He wasn't just a great teacher that other people mistakenly identified as God.  Read the verses again -- does this sound like someone who is simply trying to teach moral truths?  Is he simply hoping you'll live your best life?  Or is he transcendent and inviting us into an eternal relationship with the God who created the universe and can speak power over death itself?  
  Jesus knows who he is, and he calls you by name, which means that however much we may be confused about parts of our identities, we can clearly define ourselves as children of the living God who are claimed by the Son of God and marked as Christ's own forever.  That's a pretty good starting point for our identities!

No comments: