Monday, November 7, 2022

John 18:25-27

John 18:25-27

  Nobody ever plans for moral failures.  People don't wake up in the morning and think about how they'll cheat on a spouse or lie on their taxes.  Opportunities present themselves, and people do what they never would have expected they're capable of doing.  It's been happening for thousands of years, and it's tragic, but it's also human nature.  We're fallible, but we generally assume we'll do the right thing, and we do, often, but not always.
  What I love about Scripture is how accessible it is.  I can relate to Peter.  If you asked me to my face, I'd tell you that I'd never deny Jesus like this.  But Peter didn't think he would, either.  He was afraid and reacted out of fear.  I've made bad choices, choices that I never thought I would make, things I regretted and then ended up doing again, even though I had made promises that I'd never do that again.  
  There's a place for Peter in the story of salvation that God is writing.  The place isn't at the middle, because that's where Jesus is, but all around Jesus, we're invited into that place, brokenness and all.  There is healing on the path there for us, no matter what, so when the rooster crows and reminds us of our sin, that's not the bell tolling an end, but rather a reminder of the new beginning made possible in Christ.

No comments: