Friday, November 10, 2023

Mark 11:12-14

Mark 11:12-14 

  Every time I read this, I feel sorry for the fig tree.  It wasn't the season for figs, and yet it gets cursed for not having any figs.  It's not the tree's fault, I want to yell!
  And yet, Jesus is the one who designed the fig tree.  He made it -- he would know that.  
  And the God who reacts graciously throughout Scripture, even when it's undeserved, would surely be willing to extend grace.  The disciples all abandon Jesus, and yet he welcomes them back after his death.  So surely, Jesus has good reasons for his actions, and if they are consistent with everything else I read in Scripture, those actions are rooted in grace and love, more than I can imagine.
  So when the world confuses me, and I don't understand what God is doing (or not doing), I try and remember that God consistently acts with grace and love, so the problem isn't with God -- it's that I don't have enough facts, or am simply not waiting long enough.  On a long enough arc, God is consistently loving and faithful and cannot act outside of that.

No comments: