Monday, November 13, 2023

Mark 11:15-19

Mark 11:15-19 

  I sometimes stop and wonder what Jesus would say to me if we had the chance to have dinner.  I like to think that it would be all affirmations and good news.  I also like to think calories eaten after midnight don't count.  I think both are probably incorrect.
  Jesus was confrontational.  He wasn't afraid to confront the Pharisees, and he wasn't afraid to go after the money-changers in the temple, either.  He called Peter 'Satan' when he was upset with him.  We have these images of Jesus as a meek and mild lamb, but he is also passionate and ferocious at appropriate times.  I believe he can still be affirming and loving, but he's not afraid to name the places in life where we need to change and grow.  I think I'd get called out for any number of faults -- not to belittle, but to help open my eyes to areas where I let sin and selfishness reign, and ways that I don't love God more than other things.  
  It's probably a helpful thought exercise -- imagine having lunch with Jesus.  Where would he comfort you?  How would you bask in his love?  And where would he challenge you?

No comments: