Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bottles

  What a bottle...

  I can't believe I ate the whole thing...

  Any more where that came from?

  How the times are changing--I'm now (occasionally) feeding Caleb from a bottle, as he continues to grow.  We are looking ahead to the days of day-care and babysitting and all those other times when Rachel may not be available to feed the little eating machine, and beginning to prepare him for another stage of life.

  Isn't life constantly like that?  Even when we're smack in the middle of something great, God is preparing us for what comes next.  We rarely sit still, but are always barreling into the future, often so quickly we don't bother to stop and enjoy the present.

  I've fed Caleb twice now (we tried a third time, but that didn't go so well...  let's just say that I'm not mom and at midnight, all three of us simply wanted to go to bed rather than deal with eating), and it's a strange experience.  (For both of us, probably!)  I've never fed a baby before, and he's never drank from a bottle before--but now, there we are, each one of us like a fawn on new feet, trying to make this work, knowing that it is good but unsure exactly what the best way forward is.  We manage to make it work, but not with confidence or grace.  (I haven't dropped him, yet.  So I've got that going for me.)

  Caleb continues to grow, and I continue to seek out ways to be there for him, to encourage him and love him, so that he grows secure in the knowledge that he is loved immensely.  Rachel and I rarely know what we're doing, but we trust that God is doing a mighty work through us, and we're simply enjoying each moment, thankful for the grace and blessing of life.

No comments: