Thursday, July 14, 2016

John 5:19-30

John 5:19-30
Contemporary English Version (CEV)

   I read this and hear myself encouraging my kids to do things on their own.  We want them to learn independence, to develop their own skills and learn that they are strong and capable kids, able to do many things.
  But I also think of my own desire for independence -- in a way this is good, but it also has some streaks of pride in it, as I resist being completely dependent on my heavenly Father.  God is able to do immeasurably more than I ask or imagine, and yet I want to do things on our own.  It is good to depend on God, because he is completely reliable and will never disappoint us.
  There is certainly a balance -- we learn independence in this world, and yet we lean constantly on God, knowing that there is more to this world than what we can see.  There is more to life than what we will grasp in this life, and if we are willing to depend on the Father as Jesus does, then we will catch glimpses in this life the glory that awaits us beyond the veil.

No comments: