Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Psalm 21

Psalm 21

Buds. There are countless buds, tiny magnificent points of wonder that carpet my beautiful rosebush. Perhaps it is the rain that has summoned them forth, or perhaps merely it is the time for them to appear and bless this garden with their presence. They are far from prepared to show their colors to the world, and yet I stand ready, willing them to grow and flourish in this garden, begging them to immerse me in their beauty. I am humbled by their presence, for it is no work of my hands that has brought them about; rather the work of my Lord signifies that I am truly blessed in this garden. I have been weeding and working far from these roses, and yet here they bud, a witness to God’s abundant beauty and grace.

When they bloom, they will cover the bush with a unified display of glory. Until that point I can only dream, waiting for God to reveal the wonder held within each bush. Slowly they will begin to wink, one bud at a time, until each one has reached its potential. At that point I will rejoice; now I stand in nervous waiting, hoping not to disturb their presence until they are ready to burst forth. I tremble at the thought of destroying their peaceful growth, of upsetting the soil or pruning too boldly. I wonder if the rains will destroy their innocent youth, and then I remember that God has designed these bushes to bloom here.

God knows their enemies, just as God knows mine, and in due time he will destroy them. In the meantime, only God will sustain my existence, just as God will sustain these buds. They are resilient in their delicacy, steadfast in their progress, working towards their full potential, just as I toil away to aid this garden in its growth. While I can do much to create a healthy environment, only God can turn the garden into a place of wonder and beauty. Only God can convert my humble efforts into something remarkable.

Until that day comes, when enemies are destroyed, when hope and light have defeated fear and darkness, when beauty carpets the world, I will toil in song. I will keep my eye on these buds, knowing that they are signs of what is to come, pointers towards a glory more wonderful than I can imagine. I will keep my mind upon the Lord who makes heaven and earth and paints with a brush filled with beauty. I will praise my God who turns buds into blooms.

No comments: