Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wednesday Morning

Dear Lord,

  This morning I popped the first bubble on my bubble-wrap Advent calendar.  I have begun the countdown to Christmas, to the birth of the Christ child, to the greatest renewal in all of time.  It is as though the first hints of dawn are slowly amassing at the horizon, and I can just begin to make out the rays of light you will pour forth with power and majesty.

  Teach me what it means to prepare.  Be at work in my heart, in my life, that I might know how to renew my mind and my life and offer it all to you.  In Christ your love became flesh, took on form and walked among us.  Show me those footsteps, that my own stride may stretch to follow. 

  In the manger I see all things being made new.  I see grace and peace and love and mercy--but I'm not there yet.  Keep me from rushing ahead, that here, in this moment, I might cherish the chance to prepare, to wait, to wonder at what lies ahead, and rejoice in the simply pleasure of knowing that you are faithful to your promises and will keep us all safely guarded in your hand.

Amen

No comments: