Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday Morning

Dear God--
  I look at the cross and my eyes are not wide enough to understand all that you have done.  My imagination does not run nearly wild enough to begin to dream of what happened at the Place of the Skull--I see death, but my mind is so filled with Easter visions that I cannot, even for a moment, think of the devastation of the disciples at such a scene.  To me, the crucified Lord has always been the risen Lord. 

  But for a time, the Lord was simply crucified.  The tomb was filled, the stone had not yet been rolled away.  You knew, Lord, and I know not, but in the darkest hour of their lives, they had no idea what you had in store for them, despite all of your previous warnings.

  Open my mind and my heart, Lord, that I might imagine anew the future you are calling me into.  Help me to dream, Lord, of the new world into which I go.  I am sure you have left hints around me, showing me what awaits, and I am sure I have ignored these.  Forgive my obtuseness.  Clear my mind, that I might focus on you, and enable me to serve, that I might know what awaits, know how to serve, know how to love.

Amen.

No comments: